Thinking of moving to Turvey? Here is some information on the Village
Turvey Man and Van
Turvey is a village and civil parish on the River Great Ouse in Bedfordshire, England, about 6 miles (9.7 km) west of Bedford. The village is on the A428 road between Bedford and Northampton, close to the border with Buckinghamshire. The 2011 Censusrecorded the parish’s population as 1,225.
Turvey is recorded in Domesday Book of 1086 as a parish in the Hundred of Willey. There are eight separate entries for Turvey, including a total of 44 households. The Mordaunt family obtained the manor by marriage in 1197 and were ennobled as Barons of Turvey in the 16th century. The Mordaunt family house, Turvey Old Hall, was replaced by Turvey House in 1792, by which time the estate had passed to the Higgins family. It was extended in the 19th century and still stands. There is a second large house in the village called Turvey Abbey, which was historically a family house, but is now a Benedictine monastery.
The Church of England parish church of All Saints has Saxon origins but is almost certainly a post-Norman building. It is the largest church in the deanery of Sharnbrook and was in the Diocese of Lincoln until it was transferred to the Diocese of Ely in 1837. Since 1914 it has been in the Diocese of St Albans. It has a 13th-century door with its original ironwork, a Norman baptismal font, a wall painting of the crucifixion and some notable monuments, including monumental brasses.
Turvey has a strong history of lace-making: there is evidence of a 19th-century lace-making school.
In the 19th century the Bedford to Northampton Line of the Midland Railway was built through the parish and opened in 1872. There was a Turvey railway station in Station Road about 1 mile (1.6 km) east of the centre of the village. British Railways closed the line in 1962
- The Three Fyshes – built in 1487 and first sold beer in 1624.
- The Three Cranes – an historic building next to the church.
- The Laws Hotel – built 1836–40 the Laws Hotel, now no longer a pub.
- The Tinker of Turvey – in the High Street, now the village stores. It was an inn until the early 19th century.
- The Kings Arms – in Jacks Lane, closed since the 1990s, now a private house.
Turvey has a village store and post office, village hall and two public houses: the Three Fyshes and The Three Cranes. There is long-established pre-school, Turvey Pre-School Playgroup, that looks after children from 2 years old and also runs a Before and After School Club for children at the local school. Turvey Lower School is a school for children from reception (4 years old) to year four (9 years). The Warren Nursery is a nursery for children from 6 weeks to 5 years.