Thinking of moving to Wootton? Here is some information on the Village.
Wootton Man and Van
Wootton is a large village and civil parish located to the south-west of Bedford, in the north ofBedfordshire, England. The parish also includes the hamlets of Hall End, Keeley Green andWootton Green.
Wootton has had a long association with brickmaking, but is now mainly a dormitory community for Bedford and Milton Keynes. In the 18th century church bells were made here for several churches in Bedfordshire and adjoining counties. There has been a great deal of residential development over the last 30 years but some attractive old timber-framed houses still survive. TheChurch of St Mary the Virgin in the village is mainly 14th century but contains two fine monuments in the chancel to members of the Monoux family who died in 1685 and 1707. To the west of the church is Wootton House, an impressive late 17th-century house with a contemporary, red brick stable block.
Wootton is currently undergoing plans to expand the village, with the eventual hope of joining it with Cranfield and potentially as far afield as Milton Keynes.
Housing plans include:
- More than 1000 new houses on fields situated next to the A421 road.
- Possible plans to build another 1000 houses on fields located on the road between the village and Kempston.
- A middle school, and a second lower school
- Coffee Shop
- Wine Bar
Shops in Wootton
Public houses in Wootton
- The Fox and Duck
- Cock Inn
- The Chequers Inn
- The Legstraps
- The Cross Keys (Tre Fratelli)
- The Black Horse (now closed)